Together we can do a world of good!
The Jewish Federation is devoted to strengthening Israel and supporting Jewish concerns. But as the great Rabbi Hillel said, “If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?”
Among our ongoing goals:
- Engage and enhance the local community’s interest and support of the state of Israel
- Provide unique opportunities and events for the local Jewish community to come together for events and holidays
- Strengthen the Jewish family through engagement with PJ Library and cooperative events with our area’s synagogues
- Improve the quality of life for local Jewish seniors by sponsoring holiday and other events
- Actively participate in the greatest Jewish work of “tikkun olam” — repairing or healing the world — by providing social services to the members of our community in addition to those in need around the world
Last year’s statistics
The following assistance was provided free by the Social Service Council of the Jewish Federation of Volusia & Flagler Counties to local residents, regardless of race or religion.
- 24,560 people received 1 ½ week’s worth of food including meat and fresh milk, juice, cereal, and pastries which made 188,500 meals from the Jerry Doliner Food Bank. Dog and cat food, toiletries, and diapers were also given as well as a must-have commodity – toilet paper.
- 7,000 local less fortunate youths in elementary, middle, and high schools received quality backpacks filled with school supplies.
- 2,590 people came for clothing.
- 995 people received household goods and furniture.
- 54 families came for help with electric and rental bills.
- 35 people came for wheelchairs, walkers, hospital beds, shower seats, and other medical items.
- 25 families were helped with prescription medication.
- 650 families received holiday food baskets for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- 175 young children received toys.
- 550 gift cards were given for tweens and teenagers.
- 130 elderly were given gifts for the Jewish holiday of Chanukah.
Due to changes in personal economic circumstances, we have seen an increased need in our local community with many families seeking assistance for the first time.
We continue to need your support, but we must thank everyone who has previously contributed to the Jewish Federation’s Jerry Doliner Food Bank. We could not do the work we do it if weren’t for you – our donors. The work of the Jerry Doliner Food Bank of the Jewish Federation of Volusia & Flagler Counties represents both our community and our Jewish community’s most generous tradition – “to give to others even in the most difficult times.”